Monday, September 8, 2008

Fall Foliage Drive


Sunday was just what a weekend should be there were donuts, kids happy shouts from the trampoline heard from the deck where we sat sipping coffee, visiting with friends, no hurrying around, just taking the day as it came which included a breath taking drive to the Lower Chatanikia River late in the afternoon. Just as we were headed down our driveway a glowing rainbow greeted us, as if Mother Nature was saying, " Get out and enjoy this fine weather" ......and that is just what we did!

We found a cool little place to go camping, hopefully next weekend, with plenty of tall grass for the kids to play hide and seek. A fallen tree was a favorite for the kids to climb. Which is the kind you must have around here, 'cause Aspen, Birch, and Spruce are a little tricky to scamper up. While a local camper was packing things up for the weekend, he told us that early that morning he had spotted a bull moose, but was unable to get a shot off. YUM, I would LOVE the opportunity to fill the freezer with meat for the winter, and since we live in town we can take it to get processed and not have to do it ourselves! Now that's what I'm talking about....oh wait, I guess we better get a moose first.

The colors on the trees were brilliant along the winding path down to the river bank, reminding me of my favorite Robert Frost poem, The Road Not Taken, I don't know why but for some reason I think he wrote this poem with reference to fall time..maybe the first line "two roads diverged in a yellow wood" or maybe "in leaves no step had trodden black" making me think that no one had walked there yet and the new fallen leaves were still golden.



Yes, fall is definitely one of my favorite times of the year. There are so many wonders for the senses to inhale..... pumpkins (ours are actually still trying to grow, but I think the frost might get 'em), the last of the high bush cranberries, their leaves scarlet with color shouting pick me, pick me, burnt orange and golden yellow leaves lazily drifting down to the ground, mesmerizing bonfires, weenie roasts, messy smores smeared over smiling faces, camping trips with chilly mornings. It's one of my favorite times of the year. Hope you're able to take a few hours to celebrate fall!

3 comments:

Chum said...

You and tiff have been so enjoying your environment. I am not sure what happened to Rich and I. We somehow got lost in the concept of trying to finish projects before winter... Thanks for the reminder.. I need to get out to Hatcher and get some blueberries picked.

NOLA said...

Sigh. Fairbanks is so amazingly beautiful in fall! I used to have fantasies of capturing the amazing colors in a quilt.

Enjoy!

tiff said...

beautiful fall colors...we are still wearing shorts and sandals...hee :) i would love for you to fill your freezer with moose too!